Sunday, May 20, 2007

Stirred





I had a great day of hiking in the beautiful Colorado Mountains. Some of my roomates, friends and I went hiking west of where we live in Glenwood Springs. The hike was called Hanging Lake. It was a beautiful day of being outside with people.

More that the hike, right now my heart is stirred up. We had a guest speaker at church tonight. Pastor Al Pittman from Calvary Colorado Springs shared on Galatians 15. It gets me every time.

Galatians 5:16-26


So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.
The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

Why is it so easy to serve two masters? To say yes to the flesh- We need the Spirit of God to lead, guide and be the center of our lives. Why do we give over so easily? or why do I. I need the Holy Spirit to guide my life. I just want to trust and love... The righteous shall live by faith........

I am reminded again that I can do no good thing apart from Jesus.I want Jesus to be the standard and center of my life. I want him to be my motivation, my love, my standard, my instructor, my corrector, my councilor, my shepard, my husband, my best friend, the absolute passion and love of my life.

Jesus use me as your instrument, your fragrance to this broken world. Give me a greater compassion for the people and needs around me. Apart from you I can bear no good thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

B-E-A-Utiful! Thanks for the little message too, it was encouraging to me. It's been "easy" to go through my days just taking care of my boys and things around the house and not spending any real time with God. But reading that passage, made me realize how much I miss the Bible and how reading it makes the days easier and brighter because I'm more aware of His presence and led by His Spirit. So I think I'll get off this computer now and go read the Bible while the boys are still napping :). Love you Jenn.

Kelly Meirik said...

I'm stirred. You do that well.
love you!