Thursday, May 8, 2008

Selfishness, The Church & Bitterness

Francis Shaffter said in his book, How Shall We Then Live? That if you look at the world now- eventually that is what the church will look like. Now- we find ourselves in a self absorbed, obsessed, addicted, materialistic culture. In America we are living in a society of convenience and we are allowing our thoughts and attitudes to be shaped by what we see and live in. And I mean- WE ARE ALLOWING IT! People have become OBSESSED WITH THEMSELVES. Our attitudes have become one of convenience and how can the church best serve me and honor me and please my feelings and not step on my feelings. One little thing or several little things later- you talk crap about your pastor, find ways not to serve the church and how incredibly inconvenient it is to wake up a few minutes early to humble ourselves and serve- then a group of believers get together- bash the pastor and find more fellowship in talking poorly about the church then they do about the one we worship- Jesus. Don't get me wrong- I have been greatly convicted of this and how settle this can come in our hearts and how we can participate. I don't say this with any judgment- it is just crazy how much we see it in our culture and how we can ben guitly without acknowledging it. It is scary- becase we all justify it as processing it- How do I know- because I have been found guilty. Doesn't the bible talk about forgiveness and laying your life down for your brother? When true forgiveness is refused in mans heart- it becomes bitter, cold, lifeless, negative and one bearing no fruitfulness. Have you ever seen a bitter old person? It started somehow-right? Can you imagine being bitter and selfish your entire life? I think it makes people ugly. Those have have chosen to be set free and walk with Jesus- their spirits reflect him. How rare is it to find friends who really lay their lives down for each other and take care of one another ? ( I feel greatfull to have friends that will and do ! ) It is rare to really see a radical to see passion even in the church. Could you even imagine what would happen if true repentance and forgiveness of one another would start to happen? If people would forgive each other and bare one another's burdens and honored authority and their pastors and elders? What would happen? The world would start to see a whole new church. I think we can cause much confusion when we claim Christ as the center of our lives- and refuse correction and a softening of our hearts.

Rev 3: 14-22 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other!

So, because you are lukewarm–neither hot nor cold–I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.

I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.

Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent.

Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.

To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne.

He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”


So I say this as a challenge to all of us- Jesus Bring on the PASSION! Let us love, serve and honor one another. Let us be a reflection to the world of how believers are to serve the world, your neighbor and really what our world view should be.

4 comments:

Rob, Kelly, Bennett, and Elodie said...

Thanks for speaking words of truth, Jenn; it was humbling and exciting to read them. Humbling, because I hope to be on the right side of this (loving and free of bitterness), excited because you are right: what a powerful church we can be if we would get our priorities straight and focus on Him instead of each other. I have been thinking about these things a lot lately; thanks for opening the discussion.
"Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are honest, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, meditate on these things." Phil.4:8
Love you, friend!~Kelly

nicole aka gidget said...

Amen, sister! I too have been learning about and feeling a little convicted of unforgiveness and how it leads to bitterness, which I definitely don't want! And you are so right to point out that we shouldn't want that in the church as a whole either.

Coalwell Family said...

Guilty! You hit the nail on the head with that one friend...it has also been on my mind in my search to find the "perfect" church that doesn't exist. Thanks for your words of wisdom and truth...miss have them around.

Andrea Harman said...

Hi Jenny

I'm a friend of Mandy's and I followed a link on her blog to yours. We met once in Durango a long, long time ago. Anyway, this is a great post about the church here. So true. And so true about how self-obsessed our society is. I'd like to say it's everyone else, but I fight it every day in myself too. Anyway, thought I'd drop a comment. Great blog.