Thursday, July 5, 2007

Francis Schaeffer


Here is a little background on a writter that has been touching my thoughts and stirring up things in my heart.

Francis Schaeffer was a Presbyterian minister with an ability to see how the questions of meaning, morals, and value being dealt with by philosophy, were the same questions that the Bible dealt with, only in different language. Once an agnostic, Schaeffer came to the conclusion that Biblical Christianity not only gave sufficient answers to the big questions, but that they were the only answers that were both self-consistent and livable. With this conviction he became a man of conversation.

Schaeffer taught that God is really there and He is not silent. He had spoken to man in the Bible as and a result we could have "true truth" about God and man. Knowing the dignity of man created in God's image, he placed a high value on creativity as an expression of that image. He opened his Swiss home to travelers to discuss these things. Later he began lecturing in universities and writing a number of books. Perhaps no other Christian thinker of the twentieth century, besides C.S. Lewis, has had more influence on thinking people.

1 comment:

We are the Ganyos.... said...

Hey Jenn,
Im anxious for your thoughts on True Spirituality. Its been years since I read it but I remember not loving it. I personally feel that F. Schaffer's greatest contribution to the intellectual world was creating L'Abri. I had the privlege of attending the one in Switzerland when I was 18....so young in my intelectual pursuits but very in need of a retreat from the confines of contemporary church culture. It was there, high on the hillside of the Swiss Alps, that I remember being truely CONVINCED of the existence of the God of Biblical Christianity and experienced Him on a level that was deeper than anything I had previously known. I will always remeber that moment in time and that precious little place nestled amongst some of God's MOST amazing creation. Many people go there to seek honest answers to honest questions and to find relief and healing from the hurt that their faith or lack there of has caused. While I didnt have any particular question or issue that was paralyzing my faith, I was in desperate need of a fresh breath of God and His Spirit and that is what I found in addition to the unique experience of living communally with several other people of all kinds from all places. Anyway, this is my endorsement, go there.
Love you.....
Erica