Monday, October 26, 2009

272 Days until I am married!

Guess What? 272 Days. Until. I marry Jonathan. I can't wait! Jonathan and I have another 9 months until marriage- engagement so far has been wonderful! It has been so sweet to dream together of what life will look like and think about what God has in store for us. I am looking forward most to togetherness and doing life with each other. Laughing, cooking dinner and the daily things of life you get to experience when you live with someone. Jonathan has a wonderful-full-of-life personality and I think life will never be boring or same old with the life ahead of us, thank you Jesus! Most of you ( my friends that read this) were married 5+ years ago and it is hard for me to remember all that you anticipated when you got married, what did you like most about engagement and what is your favorite part of marriage? For those of you not married- The Lord has someone so incredibly knit together perfectly made for you, pray, wait and live out all that the Lord has for you right NOW. So for my single sisters, I waited, most of you know my story.. Jesus is faithful! So for you girls, any encouragement?

7 comments:

Sherry said...

Well it has been almost 19 years since my wedding day.. as far as engagement goes, the struggle to remain pure is what first comes to my mind, but it was so worth the wait! I also remember longing for the day that we would not have to say goodnight, but could wake up next to each other!

Marriage is wonderful, well hard at times. You realize how selfish you can be. What I love most is spending my life with my best friend, and serving Jesus with an amazing man and spiritual leader!
You are going to love it Jen! I am so so so happy for you!

Love you and miss you tons!

Jen Schlenker said...

Ah, Sherry Thank you so much. Yes... The part I am most greatful is a like-minded man that we get to love people and love our family together. Thank you for your encouragement! Yes...waking up and no shuttle service will be sweet...

Tim and Debra said...

Enjoy every minute of it! Engagement is such a fun time of anticipation. Don't stress over the details. Love you!

We are the Ganyos.... said...

I hate to be a downer, but I pretty much loathed being engaged. I dont like to anticipate things nor am I fan of the in-between stages of things- I say that just incase you come to a point where you, too, stop loving it and feel frustrated or guilty because of it. I know that my dislike of engagement often translated to Brian as fear of being married or discontentment with our relationship which was not really the case.
Agreed that the physical restraints are the toughest part of being engaged. They feel (and in fact are) so unnatural.
Marriage, on the other hand, is so great. My favorite part is emerging from a brutal trial together - still connected, and even deeper in love an appreciation for one another.

Jen Schlenker said...

Erica, Thank you so much for your post. I am sure I will get there! So thanks for your honesty, I love you and miss you! Ah, you sweet post was ecouraging! 7 years for you yeah?

Two Cent Sparrow said...

The purity struggle is so hard when you're engaged. As Erica(?) said - it is unnatural in a way b/c you are spiritually and emotionally connected, so you naturally desire the physical connection even more. However, I LOVED being engaged. For RJ and I it was a sweet time of preparation for marriage. We loved planning and dreaming about our future together (although nothing ever goes as planned!). We didn't stress over the wedding, and actually enjoyed planning it together. I love that he was a big part of the wedding details.

Oh, and I did have one moment of pretty intense cold feel. But thanks to some Godly counsel and good friends I understood what was going on and got through it. I wasn't expecting to have any cold feet b/c I KNEW he was the one for me, but the enemy did try that tactic just once, so be prepared for it.

ENJOY!

Unknown said...

You've encouraged my heart sweet friend!