Friday, January 25, 2008

The Yellow Rose of Texas



This picture touched me this morning as I thought about my Grandmother Schlenker and how much she would have loved this picture. She was a true cowgirl and loved Texas. She loved yellow roses and would always sing..... The Yellow Rose of Texas.

There's a yellow rose in Texas
That I am a going to see
No other darky knows her
No one only me

She cryed so when I left her
It like to broke my heart
And if I ever find her
We nevermore will part

And continues:

She's the sweetest rose of color
This darky ever knew
Her eyes are bright as diamonds
They sparkle like the dew

You may talk about dearest May
and sing of Rosa Lee
But the yellow rose of Texas
Beats the belles of Tennessee
She's the sweetest little rosebud,
That Texas ever knew
Her eyes are bright as diamonds,
They sparkle like the dew,

You may talk about your Clementine
and sing of Rosalee,
But The Yellow Rose of Texas
is the only girl for me!

1 comment:

boothefamily said...

Hello Jen!

Lately I turned down your request to be friends on Facebook because I couldn't honestly recall who you were or how we knew you... Which led to the choice because I couldn't honestly declare we were friends; which is not to say that our family isn't interested in the opportunity to be friends, so when I saw a reference to your blog, I thought I'd look you up and see what there is to see from this nice person who expressed an interest in being known as one of our friends (which we thank you for your trust).

Jen, I've got a question about the lyrics of this timeless song you've posted: What do you know or think of the use of the word "darky" in the lyrics?

All the best,

Steven